Assignment Writing In College: Top Tips for Students
asked this on September 14, 2015, 02:52
Every new college student soon notices how much they have to write in order to get high grades in exams. No matter which course you are taking, you may be asked by your teachers to write different assignments for the class. Though writing is not an easy task and each writing assignment is different from others, there are some common guiding principles that every student must have to follow in college. Want to know what those principles are? Read the article below:
1. Use correct grammar and punctuation:
You are in a college now, and it is essential that the assignments you write in college are of college level. Moreover, the way that you write your assignment is seen as a reflection of your overall intelligence and analytical ability, both in high school and in the workplace, so it is necessary that what you write in college must be written carefully and well, and must use Standard English with correct grammar and punctuation.
2. Use a formal tone:
Avoid using cutesy, jargon or slang symbols or language in your assignment. Also, don’t use too much of question marks and exclamation points for emphasis. Always keep in mind the greater the amount of emphasizing text you use in your assignment, the less the effect of emphasizing text. Also avoid using bold italics, underlining, or caps, either.
3. Avoid using flowery or verbose vocabulary:
Always use clear and concise language as it will communicate your ideas more effectively.
4. Be clear and concise:
When you write an assignment, use words carefully so that your writing will be clear to the audience. Make sure the words you use must have appropriate connotations. As a rule of thumb, don’t use jargon that might be difficult for readers. If it is, must use any industry or jargon vocabulary, define unfamiliar terms so it will be easy for readers to understand.
5. Check out all the resources available to you:
There is a lot of resources available right in your college campus that will be a big help for students. Some of them are:
• College library: Libraries are a big help in writing an assignment. Pay a visit to your college library and check out the material they have on your chosen topic, collect those materials and make notes that will be a big help during the writing process.
• Pay a visit to your course advisor: Teachers are always a big help in writing an assignment. Visit your teacher and ask them what they are actually looking in an assignment. Jot down each and every point in order to avoid any hurdle at the end of the day. You can also ask your professor to read the draft of the paper before you start writing the final paper.
• Internet: Internet today is one of the biggest blessings that students have. Take an advantage of the Internet to find material for your assignment. If find any relevant material save it for further reading.
6. Start as early as possible:
Students usually don’t get enough of time for writing small assignments, so it is better to start it as early as possible in order to avoid any hurdle at the end of the day. If you get a big assignment, mark out important dates in your calendar so that you won’t miss any.
Frank Dillane is a small education consultant based in the south west of England. . He started her career as a writing assistant and later turned in to Expert assignment writing UK. Frank is also an engineer but she finds more interest in writing rather than developing.